We believe regular and structured engagement with diverse stakeholder groups is fundamental to how we evolve our approach and tackle the issues that matter most to society and the environment. Beyond our engagement with portfolio companies, we also seek to engage transparently with a range of stakeholders. Below is an overview of key engagements we make as a firm.
Our approach to responsible investing, portfolio case studies and our ESG reports are available on our website.
Our stakeholders and key engagements:1
We seek to engage with portfolio companies on ESG throughout the investment period. Engagement varies by fund and strategy. For the private equity strategy we focus more on PE buyout funds, where we have the greatest influence. Within the buyout funds, more focus may be placed on companies with higher ESG risk or opportunity. Engagement in the PGO portfolio is more limited and may focus on ESG risks identified during due diligence or emerging post-investment, as relevant.
Engagement is tailored depending on the commitments of the fund, for example under the EU Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulations (SFDR).
Permira Credit, seeks to engage on ESG risks with direct lending (PCS) portfolio companies, or CLO managers for structured credit (Sigma).
Engagement varies by fund and is tailored depending on the commitments of the fund under SFDR.
- Quarterly portfolio company valuations including an update on key events at the individual portfolio company level
- Investor notes providing information on Permira, new investments and divestment activity
- Webinar recordings of conversations with deal teams on new investments
- Knowledge-sharing webinars with further information on key topics and initiatives at the firm. These have included ESG topics, such as SFDR, values-based investing, and climate change.
- Annual Meeting and LP Advisory Committee and semi-annual Advisory Committee meetings
- Institutional Limited Partners Association-compliant reporting
- Employee surveys
- Permira Women’s Network meetings and activities
- Internal ESG newsletter
- Signatory of UN PRI, with annual transparency disclosure
- Member of British Private Equity & Venture Capital Association Responsible Investment Advisory Group
- Invest Europe ESG Roundtable (affiliate member), and member of ESG Steering Committee (since January 2023)
- European Leveraged Finance Association – ESG reporting roundtables
- ILPA Diversity in Action member
- ICI European Operating Committee member
- ESG Data Convergence Initiative Steering Committee member
- Sustainable Markets Initiative, Private Equity Taskforce
- Themes of interest identified by inbound questions
- Consultations and commentary on regulations through industry bodies
- Suppliers assessed for ESG against our Environmental Policy during tender and in quarterly business review meetings, as relevant
- Higher risk suppliers are requested to disclose modern slavery risks and we engage with them on potential risks and controls, as relevant
1 This represents a sampling of actions that Permira may take with regard to ESG. There is no guarantee that Permira will engage in all of them or in any of them across all funds or the business, and Permira may choose to engage in others in the alternative.